Copy Editing Services
You’re looking to sell books, right? Whether you’re seeking self-publication or trying to attract the attention of a big New York agent or editor, you need to put your best foot forward. Don’t get rejected due to typos, inconsistent tense issues, or grammar errors that pull readers out of the story before they’ve even gotten into it. A copy editor can save you from all those things and more!
What Do You Get?
It's our job to seek out and destroy:
- Spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors
- Awkward sentence structure
- Letter, sentence, and paragraph spacing
- Misspelled words
- Capitalization snafus
- Major timeline issues
- Character inconsistencies (e.g. hair and eye color, name spellings)
- Tense issues
- Redundancy / inconsistency
- POV issues
Bonuses not offered by most copy editors, but standard at McKelden Creative:
- We’ll fill out a style sheet (just like big publishing house copy editors!) which will include character names, lists of places (real and fictional), hyphenated modifiers (for consistency), and any other lists that allow us to keep track of conflicts in the manuscript.
- You’ll get helpful comments and suggestions for improvement of your novel without altering your style. Plus, the choice to take or leave our suggestions always rests with the author!
- Track changes will be used and you will be provided with a marked up copy AND a clean copy with all changes incorporated.
We especially love to edit genre fiction, including romance, young adult, new adult, and mysteries. We're always happy to work with novel- or novella-length manuscripts.
To determine the fee for your copy editing, we ask that you fill in the below form. We will ask to evaluate your manuscript to check for word count, complexity, and level of editing needed to ready it for publication. We'll provide you with a bid, including details of the work needed.
What We Need From You
Manuscripts should be provided in Microsoft Word format, Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, with 1-inch margins. This equals approximately 250 words per page.
We reserve the right to refuse any manuscript (for subject matter, genre, or otherwise), and we promise not to bullshit you. If it’s not ready for the copy editing stage, we’ll be honest and upfront about it. We don’t want you wasting your money by trying to move too fast!
All transactions will be made via our PayPal account. We require half up front and half upon completion of the copy editing.